FOR THOSE OF US WHO HAVE SAT BACK FOR YEARS AND WATCHED THE GAMESMANSHIP OF THE NORTH LOS ANGELES COUNTY REGIONAL CENTER, AND THE LACK OF INTEREST OF THE LOS ANGELES BOARD OF SUPERVISORS, WE SEE THE SAME PATTERN THAT LED TO THE DEATH OF A CHILD UNDER THE CONTROL OF THE LOS ANGELES DEPARTMENT OF CHILDREN AND FAMILY SERVICES.
Some things take time. You don’t get a correction of horrendous quality of services overnight and that is what I have come to understand about the North Los Angeles County Regional Center in Lancaster, California. You can tell the Los Angeles Board of Supervisors about the Life and Death game of Russian Roulette some with the highest positions play with long term clients but nothing happens until someone actually dies. That is exactly what happened with the Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services. A boy had to be tortured to death under full view of DCFS social workers before anyone got upset and mildly upset at that. I imagine these agencies have a statistical framework that says ….. X NUMBER DIE…..X NUMBER LIVE….. X NUMBER GET STOMPED ON BY US FOR THE FUN OF IT………X NUMBER LET US FEEL OMNIPOTENT….. and as long as the death number is the lowest all is well. But it wasn’t that way in this case. A 9 year old dying after having been treated to abuse including eating his own feces, well that was a little too much to fit into the formula I guess.
SUCH IS THE SAME CASE WITH THE NORTH LOS ANGELES COUNTY REGIONAL CENTER IN LANCASTER, CA. Why should I be surprised when some claim it was started by the likes of Frank Visco, Godfather anointed of the Antelope Valley who called his own shots, literally on how things were to be done. The apples do not fall far from all the trees.
The Regional Center has had complaints filed against it with other agencies for dumping long term clients off in parking lots (one being pregnant) and forcing clients who they housed for years to be left at hospitals like the Palmdale Regional Medical Center. If you think I am kidding ask Joe Ely, Case Manager at that particular center who filed a complaint recently and nothing was done. Nothing is ever done according to the staff of the hospital. In fact, the hospital had to pay a private unlicensed group home $1,900 to get the Regional Center Client out of their hospital after the Regional Center left her sitting there for at least — two weeks! When she was released, there was not needed insulin and other medications so the father rushed her to the emergency room to avoid her going into a diabetic coma. Did the Regional Center Care? Hell No! Despite numerous calls to Executive Director George Stevens with no return call, the staff of EDIE BRYANT AND SONYA HER ASSISTANT WAIT IT OUT. There are the sins that should bring all of these individuals into a Federal Courtroom to answer some serious life and death questions:
- The Regional Center lost through negligence the client’s social security in 2012 and did not even know it. An activist for the family had to investigate with Social Security and find out what the center was ignorant of. Still the social security has not been restored which will allow the client to at least live in an efficiency or hotel room.
- The client is mentally retarded and bipolar.
- The center has forced the family that is ill equipped to provide for the client or else the client will be on the street. The client is very ill, shakes, has serious diabetic related issues and is sometimes combative due to intense nightly bedwetting. The client is 40 years old.
- The family is forced to care for the client in a home where her son lives. The son was separated from the client at 29 days of age after the client attempted to small his head into the floor. It was a flat as a pancake and he knows what she did. The trauma of her living with him is almost unbearable and does not assist his development which was excellent until the Regional Center forced the mother onto the victim.
- The Regional Center plays games by sending a nurse to the home three days a week. The nurse is worthless. Her stories are fiction, she does nothing but take blood pressure and cannot even help the family obtain proper medication.
- The Regional Center and the Palmdale Regional Hospital Medical Center said the client needed to be in a SKILLED NURSING FACILITY. GEORGE STEVENS IGNORES THAT REALITY.
- NO ONE SEEMS TO BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR THE NORTH LOS ANGELES COUNTY REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER. THEY SEEM INSULATED FROM ANY TYPE OF REACTION TO THEIR POOR PERFORMANCE AND POTENTIALLY LIFE AND DEATH MANEUVERS.
- OH, I need to share the story of when this same client was 8 months pregnant, the North County Regional Center had her living on the street in the rain in a Motel 6 Parking lot. The baby was eventually born in the back of an ambulance.
- While the center will pay some really questionable providers as much as $2,800 per month to care for this client, when it comes to even giving the family $20.00 they claim they cannot.
WHAT REALLY HAPPENED AT THE REGIONAL CENTER IN SAN BERNARDINO WHEN THE EMPLOYEE WENT TO AN EMPLOYEE CHRISTMAS PARTY AND SHOT EVERYONE HE AND HIS WIFE COULD. WE WERE SO QUICK TO CALL IT TERRORISM BUT HE DID NOT HAVE TO GO TO A SPECIFIC EMPLOYEE CHRISTMAS PARTY. MAYBE HE WAS TIRED OF THE INCOMPETENCE.